Sara Fisk (Mesa, AZ)

Dear Emily,

I have thought about what I could say to you as you round the bend on your twenties and come into full view of the hill before you. You're not over the hill yet, but you are starting on your climb. Not to be morbid on the day in which we celebrate your birth, but as I thought about all the things I wanted you to know, it sounded more like a eulogy. I've always thought it sad that the nicest things are said about a person who is not there to hear them. So this is my eulogy to the living. My tribute. Accolades and praise for someone who is most praise-worthy.

Let me get right to the point. In SO MANY (all caps, underlined and bold) ways, I wish I was more like you. Not only do I wish it, but I try to be it. I want to be generous like you are, kind like you are and slow to anger like you are. When I see you be so patient with Ruby I truly long to posses that same patience. When I see you refuse to take offense, I marvel at how easy you make it look. When you help and give and love and serve like it's second- nature to you, I see that you are able to do that because it is your nature.

You are so easy to be with, to laugh with and to talk to. You understand the things that are deeply important to me and when we talk you make me feel like I'm so important to you. You are ME is so many ways, which makes talking and shopping and laughing and playing and raising our kids together all so amazing, but you are "just different enough to keep things interesting."

There is only one problem that I see with you and that is that you are too far away. Whenever you visit, I am reminded, and somewhat painfully so, how badly I want to live close to you. I even cried about it this last time as I lay in bed the night before you left- I never want our time to be over. Because of you and Alicia and all the goodness that having sisters has brought to me, I want a sister for Rachel- I want a sister like you for her. Because of you my life is better in only that special way that a sister can make it. I'm so grateful for you Em, and I love you.

Happy 30th sis, the best is yet to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment