It was Freshman or Sophomore year at SelmaHigh school (1993 or 1994), and Winter Formal (sometime near her birthday) was approaching. I asked this girl I liked big time, but unfortunately my cousin had already asked her (they worked together at Kentucky Fried Chicken – Azure Plazola – she was hot). That sucked. So I did the next best thing, I asked my friend, Emily (who was also hot). Hopefully you can see where this story is taking us.
I approached Emily and she turned me down (a couple times), but I was persistent. I finally wore her down and she said yes (after about 5-6 times). I was excited. I told my mom that I was going with Emily Bybee and she was excited too. She thanked me that I wasn’t going to the dance with some random, skanky girl. She liked Emily, who doesn’t? We went shopping the following weekend. I bought a suit, brand new shoes and even got a new haircut (just like the one I have today). The days leading up to the formal were strange though. Emily seemed to be avoiding me. I would stop her, and she would make up some random excuse and get away. I didn’t know any better – I just figured everything would be OK.
The night of the formal was great. I invited some friends over to take pictures; we were excited about what was to come. Everything seemed OK, but I began to get nervous. Their dates began to show, and here I was dateless at 7:00 p.m., when the dance began at 8. Then I got a phone call. The phone call. It was Emily, telling me she couldn’t go to the dance. I was heartbroken, devastated, embarrassed, and any other adjective you could possibly imagine. I instantly began to cry. That was something I hadn’t done in a long time. I eventually gathered myself and told my friends to go on without me. When I told my mom what had happened, she began to cry. Go figure.
The life lesson(s) (Notice it is plural): From that day forward, I always made sure to keep in contact with my dates. And it further reassured me that “nice guys do finish last.” Trust issues developed. Self-esteem dropped. And I developed this attitude towards Emily for about a year or so. And since I work in a school, every time the winter dance approaches it’s like a dagger through my heart, salt poured on an open wound, a rope hanging from the ceiling. I’m exaggerating, I know. But I need to give her a bad time – she’s 30!!!!!
Congrats on your 30th birthday, Em. You are truly an amazing person, friend, mother (I think so), and wife (I think so, too). Tyler is lucky to have you. May you have a terrific year.
No comments:
Post a Comment